Skip to main content

Insurance and Car Signs

Advertising on vehicles


Do you advertise your business on your vehicle?  If so you may want to pull your policy out to see if you are covered!  


While insurance guideline and policy terms vary we can tell you that in general that many personal auto insurance companies would not cover a car if you place an advertisement, lettering or a magnetic sign for a business on the vehicle. Due to advertising a business on this vehicle, an insurance provider will typically now require you to buy a business auto policy or business use policy instead of a personal auto policy.

In general, vehicles with advertising on them require a commercial auto policy. You will need to check with your specific insurance company to see how they want to cover your vehicle if you place an advertisement for business on it, as a personal auto or business/commercial motor vehicle.  

Vehicle advertising can be a gray area with insurers and thus insurance providers vary on what type of insurance you would have to carry on your personal vehicle which you attach magnetic advertisements upon. It is advisable to check with your insurance provider before attaching any advertising to your vehicle to ensure proper auto insurance coverage.

The reason it may need to go with a commercial policy is that it increases the exposure.  You are not just driving to and from work, you are most likely putting more miles on the vehicle which increases the exposure.  Some companies do offer a business use class, so be sure to check with your agent.  It would be awful to be involved in an accident and find out that there is not coverage.

We are also finding that when people use there vehicles for business the company they are working for is requiring to be added as an additional insured to the vehicle, this also increases the exposure and more than likely cannot be done on a personal auto policy.  Although a commercial policy may be a little more, it is best to have the proper coverage.

Need more help, feel free to give us a call.

Your Risk Advisor,
Kim Gilles


Skip to content